In the first legislative session after the election of Governor Roy Cooper, legislative leaders pulled their usual political and often partisan tricks to continue poking holes in many of our state’s long-standing conservation protections.
However, it wasn’t all bleak news from Raleigh this year. We saw greater bipartisan support for expanding access to solar energy; a bipartisan defeat of tree-cutting billboard bills; and a new class of environmental champions rising in both Chambers.
You’ll notice something different this year: NCLCV is not issuing a full Legislative Scorecard. For 2017, you will find a snapshot of your elected officials and which environmental issues they championed in our first progress report.
In this progress report, you can see whether your elected officials have been champions for clean air, water, and energy…or not. With this knowledge, you can speak out to hold your legislators accountable for their votes on key environmental issues. In order to ensure all North Carolinians have access to the best quality of life possible, we need to make our movement bigger and our voices louder!
NCLCV works to protect your values at the General Assembly and in our communities. We want to make sure you stay informed and engaged on policies that will impact your quality of life. Here are five ways you can elevate environmental issues in our state:
1) Contact your legislator by phone, email, or best yet, in person! Find all of their contact information at ncleg.net
2) Sign-up for our Conservation Insider Bulletin, a weekly e-blast that provides top stories where environmental policy intersects with politics.
3) Follow NCLCV on social media to stay up-to-date on the latest, breaking news
4) Make sure your voter registration form is correct. If you aren’t yet registered or need to make changes to your contact information, visit the NC State Board of Elections website.
5) Support NCLCV’s ongoing environmental advocacy and legislative accountability work with a gift today.