NCLCV Mission Statement
The North Carolina League of Conservation Voters (NCLCV) is a pragmatic, results-oriented, non-partisan organization whose mission is to protect the health and quality of life for all North Carolinians. We elect environmental champions, advocate for environmental policies that protect our communities, and hold elected leaders accountable for their decisions. We create a political environment that will protect our natural environment.
We fulfill our mission by:
Winning Elections for the Environment: We elect candidates for office in North Carolina who will stand up for a clean, healthy environment, and defeat anti-conservation candidates, regardless of party. NCLCV and our Conservation PAC support candidates through endorsements, contributions, and strategic independent expenditure campaigns to educate voters about candidates’ environmental records.
Advocating for Environmental Policies that Protect our Communities and Families: Whether it’s supporting clean energy, ensuring clean water and air protections, or holding polluters accountable, we advocate for pragmatic, just environmental policies that protect the health of our communities, and contribute to a strong economy.
Holding Legislators Accountable: North Carolinians understand the value of, and have the right to clean water and air. They are proud of our “mountains to sea” landscapes. We work to ensure that our elected leaders align their decisions with that reality.
Our Ten Year Vision
By 2027 NCLCV will:
- Be the go-to organization at the intersection of the environment and democracy in the state.
- Be able to consistently leverage our nonpartisan strategy to win on important environmental issues in state.
- Be a sought after endorsement for candidates from both political parties.
- Be recognized for playing a critical role in electing pro-conservation governors in 2020 and 2024, and helping build a pro-conservation majority in the General Assembly.
- Be recognized as playing a strategic role in winning elections.
- Established a pipeline of pro-environment candidates at all levels of government.
- Have strong and compelling narratives, focused on people’s stories that help unaffiliated voters connect dots and inform choices at the ballot box, and elect environmental champions.
- Be larger and more diverse with increased membership, funding, and influence.
- Have increased the number of staff to meet the needs of the organization and its programs in a sustainable manner.
- Have a strong, diverse funding base, with donors who are committed to NCLCV’s long term vision.
By 2027, the people of North Carolina will:
- See the environment as an essential part of our life, economy, and the future of NC.
- Have no doubts that the quality of their lives is intertwined with environmental health. Clean air, water, and healthy land are a given in NC.
- Consider environmental impacts in their voting and electoral decisions.
- Instill fear into NC’s elected leaders of the consequences of taking anti-environmental actions.
- Consider a candidate’s position on “the environment” as important as a candidate’s position on the economy or other criteria.
By 2027, the North Carolina legislature will:
- Look like and vote for the interests of the people it represents (less ideology/extremes, more in middle).
- Be a leader on passing pro-environmental legislation in the southeast, recognize the importance of green jobs as a vital economic driver, and prioritize sustainable, equitable development.
- Ensure that environmental justice issues are key components of the debate in the General Assembly and are a guiding principle for policy and enforcement.
- Have a pro-environment majority.
- Have an increasing number of competitive legislative districts.