CIB Weekly Conservation Bulletin
The Conservation Insider Bulletin is a weekly e-newsletter for our members and friends to help you stay informed about critical environmental and political issues at the state and national level.
Whether it’s an insider’s look at environmental legislation from our lobbyist working the halls at the General Assembly, an update from our national colleagues at the League of Conservation on critical federal issues, or insights on the political realities that the environment is facing in NC and nationally, you’ll want to be an NCLCV Insider.
Sign Up for the CIB
Recent Issues of the CIB
May 20, 2013
In a flurry of long hours, rushed votes, and some frayed tempers, environmental legislation faced the dreaded "crossover" deadline in the General Assembly.
May 13, 2013
It's time to honor those green legislators standing in the breach against anti-environmental forces in Raleigh.
May 6, 2013
The theme of lawmaking in Raleigh this past week seems to have been "democracy is for chumps."
Apr 29, 2013
Finally, a significant state legislative win for the environment.
Apr 22, 2013
News from multiple directions points to the importance of maintaining our commitment to renewable energy development.
Apr 15, 2013
A major state bill filing deadline produced both good ideas and foolishness rushing in.
Apr 8, 2013
The bill to kill North Carolina's growing renewable energy economy narrowly escaped its first test in a House subcommittee.
Apr 1, 2013
Our lead story this week sounds like an April Fool's joke, but sadly, it's extremely serious.
Mar 25, 2013
The first proposed McCrory Budget is a disappointment to conservationists.
Mar 18, 2013
Advocates of the rush to frack are feeling the pinch of North Carolina's dysfunctional rulemaking laws and diminished agency resources.
Mar 11, 2013
Just when we thought the legislation approved in Raleigh couldn't get any worse on environmental issues, a fine new mess advances in the House.
Mar 4, 2013
Who's leading the dance on legislation to strip experienced members off a list of state environmental and other public protection boards? It's hard for the public to tell when the moves are rushed through without public notice. This week in CIB:
- Legislative Watch: Dancing in the Dark
- Washington Watch: Hagan Disappoints on Keystone; Sequester Impacts
Feb 25, 2013
We review our Congressional delegation's winners and losers on the environment, plus more news, this week in CIB:
- Washington Watch: NC's Delegation Scores Stretch Across the Board
- Legislative Watch: Coastal Program At Jeopardy
- Education & Resources: Webinar on Energy Polling; Conversation on Environment, Art, and Politics
Feb 18, 2013
New legislation would compound last year's mistakes on fracking, plus more news, this week in CIB:
- Legislative Watch: Expanding Energy Errors
- Washington Watch: Obama Tells Congress--You Act or I Will
- Are You Listening Department: The Jury Is In
- Education & Resources: Cool Steps
Feb 11, 2013
Activists are calling it the "Power Mad Power Grab", plus more news, this week in CIB:
- Legislative Watch: Nightmare on Jones Street
- Climate Change Update: Legislators Receive Dose of Snake Oil
- Nuclear Update: Duke Pulls the Plug
- Administrative Watch: Duke Files Next Rate Hike Request
- Education & Resources: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Data
Feb 4, 2013
Charlotte's former-mayor-turned-governor reaches back to undermine transit efforts in his home city, and more anti-environmental legislation is filed in Raleigh. This week in CIB:
- Executive Watch: Backwards on Transit
- Legislative Watch: Repeal 'em All
- North of the Border: Bill Dies, Uranium Mining Push Fading?
- Washington Watch: EPA Proposes 2013 Renewable Fuel Standards
Jan 28, 2013
Batten down the hatches--the General Assembly cranks up its 2013 session on Wednesday. This week in CIB:
- Legislative Watch: Heavy Seas Ahead
- Executive Watch: Good Winds, but Risky Waters
- Administrative Watch: Unclear on the Concept of 'Public Agency'
- Washington Watch: Climate Change a Priority
- North of the Border: Virginia County Says 'No' to Uranium Mining
Jan 21, 2013
Clean water will be under threat in this year's General Assembly, plus more news, this week in CIB:
- Legislative Watch: More Delay on Tap for Lake Cleanup
- Washington Watch: EPA Launches Soot Control Program
- Nuclear Update: Mothballs Predicted for Duke's 'New' Nuke
- Administrative Watch: Duke Seeking Rate Hike for Coal, Gas Plants
Jan 14, 2013
Duke corrals more Power in the McCrory administration, plus more news, this week in CIB:
- Executive Watch: Duke Power; DENR Team
- Judicial Watch: When It Hits the Fan, Then Goes In the Water, It's Water Pollution
- Climate Change Update: The Hottest Year
- Legislative Watch: New Committee Leaders Named
- Education & Resources: Federal Clean Energy Standard
Jan 7, 2013
The new year opened with major environmental news developments in Raleigh and Washington. This week in CIB:
- Executive Watch: Expected Bad News for the Coast; Puzzler at Transportation
- Washington Watch: Cliff Notes on Clean Energy
- Legislative Watch: State Green Energy Mandate at Risk